If you use batteries (and I am sure we all do), you need to watch this video. Perhaps you’ve seen it, but it’s a chilling story of a homeowner who thought he was doing the right thing with regard to disposing of batteries. What he didn’t know caused his house to burn to the ground, but thankfully he escaped unharmed.
I’d also like to take this time to remind you of the importance of discussing fire safety in your home. Here are a few tips:
- Have everyone in your household watch this video (and sharing it would be a great way to help inform others).
- Have a fire escape plan and make sure everyone in the house (especially the kids) is familiar with it.
- Have fire extinguishers in your home that are up to date and ensure that each family member knows how to properly use them.
- Test your smoke detectors regularly (monthly) and make sure to replace batteries twice per year (and dispose of them properly).
- Replace your smoke detectors every 8-10 years.
- Beware of simple fire hazards and use caution. Discuss them as a family and make it a game to have each family member do some research to learn of potential fire hazards to share with the rest of the family.